General Purpose Primer for Epoxy Flooring Systems
abe.®cote primer is a solvent free epoxy for the priming of epoxy flooring systems.
abe.®cote primer is used as part of the various epoxy flooring applications that include screeds, self-levelling and coating systems.
- Economical primer.
- Non-slip finish (aggregate addition).
- Chemical resistant.
- Solvent free system; low odour.
Surfaces must be clean, dry, mechanically sound, free of laitance, nibs, dust, curing membrane, grease and oil.
The concrete surface should be lightly vacuum blast cleaned leaving an open uniform textured surface (with exposed aggregate).
- The substrate must be dry before application. For concrete, moisture content tests must be conducted prior to application of the priming system. Maximum moisture content should be between 4 – 5%. The substrate must be dry before application. Concrete moisture content tests must be conducted prior to application of the priming system. Maximum moisture content should be between 4-5%. Preferably make use of a Protimeter Survey Master or an equivalent; a Dynamic Calcium Chloride moisture “weight gain” over 24 hours or at least a practical overnight “plastic sheet test” (approximately 1 m2 edges masked down onto the concrete surface).
- Concrete substrate must have a minimum tensile strength of 1.5 N/mm2. All blemishes in the surface such as pop-outs, omegas, blowholes and honeycomb should be patched with epidermix 201. This should be left overnight to cure and shall then be rendered smooth.
For a smooth final finish, the surface profile, peak to valley, should not exceed 25% of the coating thickness. If the surface is very irregular, consideration should be given to the use of abe.®prime SL, a solvent free epoxy selflevelling primer.
- When decanting base and activator, thorough stirring must be accomplished beforehand prior to adding the activator to the base.
- Proper mixing and proportioning of the epoxy binder (base and activator) is important.
Note: A suitable mixing method would be a slow speed electric drill (approximately 200 r/min.) fitted with a paddle. Ensure that the mixing vanes are below the surface of the mix to minimize air entrapment. The stirrer mixing vane configuration should be such as not to introduce unwanted aeration. Also, for this type of mixing, transferring the base/ activator combination to a new container i.e. “re-mixing” will eliminate contamination due to unmixed base which is inclined to cling to the walls of the original container.
abe.®cote primer should normally be used as a single coat. Circumstances could arise where two coats might be called for, in which case over-coating times must be observed.
Prevailing weather conditions must be taken into account otherwise surface defects can occur (see under “properties of wet material”).
abe.®cote primer should be applied by first pouring a bead of material in the form of a ribbon on the surface to be coated. Do not leave material in the container too long because it will set faster thus reducing the work life. This will be followed by back rolling using a short nap roller to obtain the required coverage rate.
4 to 5 m2/litre, subject to the surface profile and porosity of the surface.
abe.®cote primer is supplied in 5 litre yield metal containers.
Handling & Storage
abe.®cote primer has a shelf life of 2 years if kept in a dry, cool store in the original, unopened packs. If stored at high temperatures and/or high humidity conditions, the shelf life may be reduced.
Health & Safety
Product safety information required for safe use is not included. Before handling, read product and safety data sheets and container labels for safe use, physical and health hazard information. The safety data sheet is available from your local a.b.e.®Construction Chemicals branch.
Properties of Wet Material
This data sheet is issued as a guide to the use of the product(s) concerned. Whilst a.b.e.® Construction Chemicals endeavours to ensure that any advice, recommendation, specification or information is accurate and correct, the company cannot – because a.b.e.® has no direct or continuous control over where and how a.b.e.® products are applied – accept any liability either directly or indirectly arising from the use of a.b.e.® products, whether or not in accordance with any advice, specification, recommendation or information given by the company.
Where other products are to be used in conjunction with this material, the relevant technical data sheets should be consulted to determine total requirements. a.b.e.® Construction Chemicals has a wealth of technical and practical experience built up over years in the company’s pursuit of excellence in building and construction technology.