For effective flexible, waterproof, joint sealing between most building components, with mastic type sealants, the following systems are recommended.
- The joint ridge of the manhole rings must be clean, sound (firm), dry and free from any loose, weak or forreign materials.
- Prime the joint ridges of the manhole rings, top and bottom with bitu.®prime and allow to dry for a minimum of 4 hours.
- As each new manhole ring is placed, a 20 x 20mm strip of bitu.®joint putty must be placed on the bottom ring and the top ring firmly bedded into the bitu.®joint putty.
- Manhole covers can equally be bedded into a strip of bitu.®joint putty, which will keep it sealed and waterproof but will allow removal of the cover when required.
- The completed manhole should be coated with 3 coats of super laykold or Index Fidia P 4mm torched onto a primed surface using bitu.®prime on the exterior of the rings, before backfilling, to prevent the ingress of ground water.
- The manhole can be put into use immediately after completion.
This datasheet is issued as a guide to the use of the product(s) concerned. Whilst a.b.e.® endeavours to ensure that any advice, recommendation, specification or information is accurate and correct, the company cannot – because a.b.e.® has no direct or continuous control over where and how a.b.e.® products are applied – accept any liability either directly or indirectly arising from the use of a.b.e.® products, whether or not in accordance with any advice, specification, recommendation, or information given by the company.
Where other products are to be used in conjunction with this material, the relevant technical datasheets should be consulted to determine total requirements. a.b.e.® Construction Chemicals has a wealth of technical and practical experience built up over years in the company’s pursuit of excellence in building and construction technology.